It’s been a while but I’m finally back with another one of my recent discoveries while working with Xamarin and Android. We are at the pointy end of our project so it has been hard to find the time to blog but luckily now that I do have some, I also have a lot of material banked up. Stay tuned…
I have list view inside a scroll view and I want to be able to be able to scroll both depending on which one I am touching.
In order to support devices with small screens, sometimes I resort to lazy man’s responsive design. I wrap the whole layout in a ScrollView element. While this works fine most of the time it does have an interesting time dealing with child elements that are also scrollable. The one I run into the most is the existence of a ListView inside a ScrollView.
This issue has been plaguing me for some time and I usually just work around it but today I finally found a fix. It has happened in Visual Studio 2010, 2013 and today it started occurring in 2013 RC. I found a fix in this Microsoft Connect thread and thought I would blog it as a few of the other guys at work had also encountered it from time to time.
I don’t know if this is the “official” fix but the following worked for me:
1. Find in Files for any search string.
2. As soon as it starts searching spam Ctrl – Scroll Lock.
Welcome to another installment in my series exploring the specific problems that nearly beat me this week. I write these on Sunday night after a huge week of balancing my work and fatherly responsibilities so I hope they make sense…
Welcome to the second post in my Specific Solutions to Specific Problems series. Hopefully somebody is getting some benefit out of these but even if nobody is reading it, the process is pretty cathartic anyway…
These are a handful of issues that I encountered in my second week on Monodroid. These are the solutions I discovered to my problems.
I recently had to do a technical evaluation of technology options for a new project/product that we’re embarking on. The project was to be a web application, and since we’re not really a ‘web’ shop our options were really open for what and how we were going to design and build this new system.
So with our options open we began to evaluate things like Backbone, knockout and Ember. However we wanted to try and stick with an MVVM-esk pattern… well this led me down a path of discovery with AngularJS. What we found was a really capable and fast moving world unlike anything I’ve seen for a long time!
Here are the most useful things on the inter-nerd, that will teach you the KEY concepts in a few days.
At our company, I am the soul that has been tasked with doing our Android development. We have chosen to use Xamarin for this and as I race up the learning curve, I thought it pertinent to start blogging the solutions to any problems I encounter along the way. Welcome to my “Specific Solutions to Specific Problems” series…
I am doing a lot of development using Xamarin for Android and while most of the time it works really well, there are a few circumstances where it acts a little weirdly.
The first is when naming resources. The Xamarin documentation states the following in a resource on their website:
Also, it’s important to note that while Android only supports lowercase filenames for resource items, Xamarin.Android is a bit more forgiving; it will support both uppercase and lowercase filenames.Xamarin
While this is true for most items it doesn’t work across the board. Continue reading…
As usual, another Link Roundup of Xamarin / Mobile related links collected over the last week or so. Don’t forget if you have seen something cool that should be on the list, email me, comment or tweet me.
News, Webinars, Podcasts and Presentations
- First Episode of the Xamarin Podcast – Chris Hardy & Pierce Boggan – Congratulations guys on your first Xamarin Podcast. Look forward to so many more!
- What is new on Mono – Slides from my MonkeySpace Talk – Miguel de Icaza
- PlayScript – Miguel de Icaza
- Creating Calca – A symbolic calculator with markdown for iOS and more - Hanselminutes Podcast. There is also a blog post on how Frank Krueger goes multiplatform (hint: Xamarin)
- Webinar Recording: Dashboards and Data Visualization for Mobile using Xamarin and ShinobiControls - Rich Taylor (Xamarin Blog)
- Webinar Recording: Enterprise Mobile App Success with Salesforce and Xamarin - Rich Taylor (Xamarin Blog)
- C# 5 async-await (for EastBay.NET) - Craig Dunn - .NET FUNdamentals presentation for EastBay.NET User Group. Quick overview of the new async-await keywords in C# 5
- C# everywhere – Craig Dunn - Presentation for EastBay.NET user group on C# for non-Microsoft platforms like iOS, Android and Mac using Xamarin.
- PDX Tech Talks Monthly #5 – PADNUG - Marty Matheny (via Bryan Costanich)
- Faster JSON serialization with ServiceStack.Text – Nokia Devleoper Community Blog
- Using the UIRefreshControl with the UICollectionView in Xamarin.iOS - Wallace B. McClure
- Xamarin.Android by example: Monitoring the network status – Willem Meints
- Data Extraction in Mobile Apps With Xamarin - Jeremie Laval
- ProgressButton for Xamarin.Android - MotzCod.es
- Some more code! – MotzCod.es – An index of great stuff from MotzDod.es
- DevLog day – playing with Xamarin and MonoGame - Toni codes .NET
- Notification Hub SDK for Xamarin – Sascha Dittmann
- Xamarin.iOS Conversion – Creating a Simple Maze Game for iPhone – Part 1 - Mike Berlin
- UITabBarItem badge in Xamarin.iOS storyboard example – Matt Mutz
- Extension methods to animate scaling and opacity on Windows Phone - Dotnet by example
- Deliver Mobile Single Sign-On with New Symplified Component – Zack Gramana (Xamarin Blog)
- New Course: An MVC4, iOS And Android App With ServiceStack, Xamarin and C# - Pluralsight
- Getting Started with Xamarin and Windows Azure Mobile Services - Craig Dunn YouTube video
- Callbacks as our Generations’ Go To Statement - Miguel de Icaza (via IOS Dev Weekly)
- Xamarin + PCL + MAC Xamarin Studio + Visual Studio #LetsDoThis – MotzCod.es
- Farlight Brings a Captivating Drawing Experience to Your Device - Daniel Vaughan. 95% Code reuse win!
- Introduction to Windows Store app development for Android programmers – Jennifer Marsman
- Free Download – Windows Phone 8 Book – Paul Thurrott (via DevHammer’s Den)
- iOS App Store Approval Tips and Tricks - Telerik Blog
- Key Ingredients To Make Your App Go Viral – Carla White (Smashing Magazine)
- The Journey – IPhone to Windows Phone - James Quick
- Cross-Platform Mobile Development: How Can Xamarin Bridge the Gap for Top Apps? - Fino Blog
- How to Work with Designers - A Cheat Sheet for Engineers and PMs - Julie Zhuo
- App releases and what happens to those developers - MotzCod.es
- The most important mobile design decision a startup faces - Bubba Murarka (via The Next Web)
News and Events
- Gartner Recognizes Xamarin as Mobile Visionary – Nat Friedman
- Azure Notification Hubs released (broadcast push for Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS and Android) – Scott Guthrie
- Xamarin iOS Designer and Storyboards – Part 1 - Lance Bullock
- August Xamarin Webinars – Rich Taylor. Here is a list of the upcoming Xamarin webcasts.
- Webinar Recording: C# Async on iOS and Android - Miguel de Icaza, and Craig Dunn teach us about C# async and await. Slides from the session are here and here. Code samples here
- Slide Down Menu – Alex Blount provides a sweet looking menu in the Xamarin Component direcctory. It’s free and looks great. It’s also on github
- Using Auth0 with Xamarin - tutorial provided by Auth0 on how to integrate with Xamarin (iOS and Android)
- Introducing the Google Play Services Component for Xamarin.Android - Tom Opgenorth
- ProgressButton for Xamarin.Android – James Montemagno. Also check out his MonoDroidToolkit on GitHub
- Controls implemented in C# for MonoTouch – Github - Eduardo Scoz
- Using async/await, system.net.http.httpclient, and mvvmcross in Wp8, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.IOS - Ryan, Neue Objective blog
- Transitioning to Xamarin from Objective-C - Mike Bluestein
- MonoAndroid: Using TabHost in your Mobile Application – ThatsAlok on Code Project
- Creating Custom UITableViewCell’s with MonoTouch – the correct way - Alex York
- Using Extension Methods on a C# Interface to Enable DCI in Xamarin - Larry O’Brien
- iOS 7 Color Swatches - Louie Mantia
- Android Fragmentation Visualized – OpenSignal.
- Ouya and MonoGame - Ouya Devs
- Test your app with temporary, test data before you ship – Adam Denning
- Creating a UI for Background Transfer Requests - Adam Denning
- iOS vs Android, Great Balls of Fire - Russell Ivanovic
- Background Thread? Let me count the ways…. - Rob Philpott
- Beware the perils of async/await in application lifecycle event handlers (in fact in *any* event handlers) - Andy Wigley