I recently had to do a technical evaluation of technology options for a new project/product that we’re embarking on. The project was to be a web application, and since we’re not really a ‘web’ shop our options were really open for what and how we were going to design and build this new system.
So with our options open we began to evaluate things like Backbone, knockout and Ember. However we wanted to try and stick with an MVVM-esk pattern… well this led me down a path of discovery with AngularJS. What we found was a really capable and fast moving world unlike anything I’ve seen for a long time!
Here are the most useful things on the inter-nerd, that will teach you the KEY concepts in a few days.
- Some nice diagrams that show how things hang together http://devgirl.org/2013/03/21/fun-with-angularjs/
- I found this a great way to lean the fundamentals such as DataBinding, Controllers, model, Factories/Services and more. http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2013/07/30/angularjs-in-60-ish-minutes-the-ebook.aspx
- The official one hour video on the features of AngularJS 1.2, released on 11th June 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13qDdJDHp8&feature=youtu.be
- Some slightly more advanced tips around DefinitelyTyped and Minification http://notebookheavy.com/2013/05/22/angularjs-and-typescript/
- Sexy slides on some design patters and practices http://trochette.github.io/Angular-Design-Patterns-Best-Practices/#/intro
- This is 101, some very fast bite size videos teaching you each of the concepts of AngularJS in 3-6 minutes, i’d highly recommend you start here!
- A really nice overview of using TypeScript with angular to write a quick CRUD demo http://www.piotrwalat.net/using-typescript-with-angularjs-and-web-api/
- Very TypeScript specific //BUILD video from Jude 16th 2013 – http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-314
- Using an AngularJS Factory to Interact with a RESTful Service – http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2013/08/16/using-an-angularjs-factory-to-interact-with-a-restful-service.aspx
I found these to be the must have tools for anybody trying AngularJS with/from Visual Studio
- WebStorm by Jetbrains – Fast debugging scratch pad! https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/download/
Tips and techniques
- StackOverflow discussions on, how to reuse existing C# class definitions in TypeScript projects http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12957820/how-to-reuse-existing-c-sharp-class-definitions-in-typescript-projects/12959303#12959303
- Never worry about ASP.NET AJAX’s .d again https://encosia.com/never-worry-about-asp-net-ajaxs-d-again/
- Services V’s Provider V’s Factory http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15666048/angular-js-service-vs-provide-vs-factory/15666049
- ReSharper support for AngularJS https://github.com/JetBrains/resharper-angularjs
- Typical shopping cart demo with all the bells and whistles. MMVM, Paypal, Searching, etc. http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/576246/A-Shopping-Cart-Application-Built-with-AngularJ