Windows 8 and Metro Resources
General Design Guidelines
- iPad to Windows 8 Metro style app – Standard practice for translating the iPad user metaphor to a real OS
- UX guidelines for Metro style apps – You can use these detailed user experience (UX) guidelines to be sure you’re covering everything you need to create a great Metro style app.
- Blend Insider guide to Metro Style App Development – Shortlist of Microsoft (mainly) resources for metro apps.
- 5 Things you ought to know when designing metro screens – Scott Barnes shortlist of things you should know about designing Metro Screens
- Plan your app
- Navigation Patterns
- Guidance for Developing Line of Business Apps – Here is some guidance on Developing Line Of Business Apps
- – Designing the UX of Line of Business Apps
- Windows 8 Consumer Preview Product Guide for Developers – Microsoft page that has links to most of the reference material for Developers
- Metro Style Application Samples – Microsoft library of Metro App Samples.
- Microsoft Sample Application Pack – Downloadable collection of 200 samples (link to 300MB download)
- Learn to Build Metro Style Apps – Microsoft’s getting started page – “Begin building Metro style apps quickly and easily. Our getting started guide walks you through the essentials of writing your first app.”
- Windows 8 Camp in a Box, Release Preview Edition
Metro Specific Resources
- Metro Photoshop Swatches – If you use photoshop to design UI’s this gives you a palette of common colours
- Microsoft Metro Design Assets – These .psd assets include templates, common controls, and common components such as contracts, notifications, and tiles
- Metro Dynamis Resources – Collection of Icons and themes for Metro applications
- Creating Metro Style Icons with Metro Studio – Blog post about using Metro Studio, also a link to get 600 free icons
- Using The Segoe UI Symbol library – Blog post about using the Segoe UI Symbol font for icons
- Metro Icons from IconsMedia – 647 Free icons for non commercial use.
- Metro Icons Inspired by Windows Phone 7 – 130 Icons inspired by Windows Phone 7
- Designing Productivity Apps
- Enterprise Admin Apps
- Line of Business Apps
- Free Windows 8 Templates – These are templates which address some layout issues, tiles, charms, etc. There are heaps of them, which you can see on the left hand side of the page
- Windows 8 Code Snippets
- Telerik Controlls – The Telerik Win8 controls are your friends when it comes to stuff like grids, tiles and charting
- WinRT XAML toolkit – Provides a set of XAML extensions to help delivery of Windows 8 Store applications. (Nuget Package Name winrtxamltoolkit)
- Calisto Toolkit – The Calisto Toolkit developed by Tim Heuer adds helper functions and XAML controls, must useful are the controls to help deliver the settings fly out. (Or you can download and install Callisto from Visual Studio Gallery)
- Xaml Spy – For when you do battle with Xaml