At our company, I am the soul that has been tasked with doing our Android development. We have chosen to use Xamarin for this and as I race up the learning curve, I thought it pertinent to start blogging the solutions to any problems I encounter along the way. Welcome to my “Specific Solutions to Specific Problems” series…
I am doing a lot of development using Xamarin for Android and while most of the time it works really well, there are a few circumstances where it acts a little weirdly.
The first is when naming resources. The Xamarin documentation states the following in a resource on their website:
Also, it’s important to note that while Android only supports lowercase filenames for resource items, Xamarin.Android is a bit more forgiving; it will support both uppercase and lowercase filenames.Xamarin
While this is true for most items it doesn’t work across the board. Continue reading…
As usual, another Link Roundup of Xamarin / Mobile related links collected over the last week or so. Don’t forget if you have seen something cool that should be on the list, email me, comment or tweet me.
News, Webinars, Podcasts and Presentations
- First Episode of the Xamarin Podcast – Chris Hardy & Pierce Boggan – Congratulations guys on your first Xamarin Podcast. Look forward to so many more!
- What is new on Mono – Slides from my MonkeySpace Talk – Miguel de Icaza
- PlayScript – Miguel de Icaza
- Creating Calca – A symbolic calculator with markdown for iOS and more – Hanselminutes Podcast. There is also a blog post on how Frank Krueger goes multiplatform (hint: Xamarin)
- Webinar Recording: Dashboards and Data Visualization for Mobile using Xamarin and ShinobiControls – Rich Taylor (Xamarin Blog)
- Webinar Recording: Enterprise Mobile App Success with Salesforce and Xamarin – Rich Taylor (Xamarin Blog)
- C# 5 async-await (for EastBay.NET) – Craig Dunn – .NET FUNdamentals presentation for EastBay.NET User Group. Quick overview of the new async-await keywords in C# 5
- C# everywhere – Craig Dunn – Presentation for EastBay.NET user group on C# for non-Microsoft platforms like iOS, Android and Mac using Xamarin.
- PDX Tech Talks Monthly #5 – PADNUG – Marty Matheny (via Bryan Costanich)
- Faster JSON serialization with ServiceStack.Text – Nokia Devleoper Community Blog
- Using the UIRefreshControl with the UICollectionView in Xamarin.iOS – Wallace B. McClure
- Xamarin.Android by example: Monitoring the network status – Willem Meints
- Data Extraction in Mobile Apps With Xamarin – Jeremie Laval
- ProgressButton for Xamarin.Android – MotzCod.es
- Some more code! – MotzCod.es – An index of great stuff from MotzDod.es
- DevLog day – playing with Xamarin and MonoGame – Toni codes .NET
- Notification Hub SDK for Xamarin – Sascha Dittmann
- Xamarin.iOS Conversion – Creating a Simple Maze Game for iPhone – Part 1 – Mike Berlin
- UITabBarItem badge in Xamarin.iOS storyboard example – Matt Mutz
- Extension methods to animate scaling and opacity on Windows Phone – Dotnet by example
- Deliver Mobile Single Sign-On with New Symplified Component – Zack Gramana (Xamarin Blog)
- New Course: An MVC4, iOS And Android App With ServiceStack, Xamarin and C# – Pluralsight
- Getting Started with Xamarin and Windows Azure Mobile Services – Craig Dunn YouTube video
- Callbacks as our Generations’ Go To Statement – Miguel de Icaza (via IOS Dev Weekly)
- Xamarin + PCL + MAC Xamarin Studio + Visual Studio #LetsDoThis – MotzCod.es
- Farlight Brings a Captivating Drawing Experience to Your Device – Daniel Vaughan. 95% Code reuse win!
- Introduction to Windows Store app development for Android programmers – Jennifer Marsman
- Free Download – Windows Phone 8 Book – Paul Thurrott (via DevHammer’s Den)
- iOS App Store Approval Tips and Tricks – Telerik Blog
- Key Ingredients To Make Your App Go Viral – Carla White (Smashing Magazine)
- The Journey – IPhone to Windows Phone – James Quick
- Cross-Platform Mobile Development: How Can Xamarin Bridge the Gap for Top Apps? – Fino Blog
- How to Work with Designers – A Cheat Sheet for Engineers and PMs – Julie Zhuo
- App releases and what happens to those developers – MotzCod.es
- The most important mobile design decision a startup faces – Bubba Murarka (via The Next Web)
News and Events
- Gartner Recognizes Xamarin as Mobile Visionary – Nat Friedman
- Azure Notification Hubs released (broadcast push for Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS and Android) – Scott Guthrie
- Xamarin iOS Designer and Storyboards – Part 1 – Lance Bullock
- August Xamarin Webinars – Rich Taylor. Here is a list of the upcoming Xamarin webcasts.
- Webinar Recording: C# Async on iOS and Android – Miguel de Icaza, and Craig Dunn teach us about C# async and await. Slides from the session are here and here. Code samples here
- Slide Down Menu – Alex Blount provides a sweet looking menu in the Xamarin Component direcctory. It’s free and looks great. It’s also on github
- Using Auth0 with Xamarin – tutorial provided by Auth0 on how to integrate with Xamarin (iOS and Android)
- Introducing the Google Play Services Component for Xamarin.Android – Tom Opgenorth
- ProgressButton for Xamarin.Android – James Montemagno. Also check out his MonoDroidToolkit on GitHub
- Controls implemented in C# for MonoTouch – Github – Eduardo Scoz
- Using async/await, system.net.http.httpclient, and mvvmcross in Wp8, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.IOS – Ryan, Neue Objective blog
- Transitioning to Xamarin from Objective-C – Mike Bluestein
- MonoAndroid: Using TabHost in your Mobile Application – ThatsAlok on Code Project
- Creating Custom UITableViewCell’s with MonoTouch – the correct way – Alex York
- Using Extension Methods on a C# Interface to Enable DCI in Xamarin – Larry O’Brien
- iOS 7 Color Swatches – Louie Mantia
- Android Fragmentation Visualized – OpenSignal.
- Ouya and MonoGame – Ouya Devs
- Test your app with temporary, test data before you ship – Adam Denning
- Creating a UI for Background Transfer Requests – Adam Denning
- iOS vs Android, Great Balls of Fire – Russell Ivanovic
- Background Thread? Let me count the ways…. – Rob Philpott
- Beware the perils of async/await in application lifecycle event handlers (in fact in *any* event handlers) – Andy Wigley
- PlayScript is an open source Adobe ActionScript compatible compiler and Flash compatible runtime that runs in the Mono .NET environment, targeting mobile devices through the Xamarin platform. http://playscript.github.io/ – via Julian Xhokaxhiu
- Reactive Extensions (RX) are the new cool. There is now a port for Mono on github. It’s also available as nuget packages for iOS and Android. via – Jérémie Laval
- MonkeyArms MVCS framwork. Well if framework names hadn’t got weird enough already, MonkeyArms is a MVCS framework for Xamarin iOS and Android apps inspired by Flash’s Robot Legs framework. – via Ben Bishop
- iOS UITableView: Hiding separator lines above custom section headers
- Neil Danson has a series of blog posts on implementing Monogame with F# on MacOS, Android and iOS
- Building an evernote style UIViewController with xamarin – via Glenn Stephens
- Programming the ChromeCast with Xamarin – Larry O’Brien, via Craig Dunn
- Pinterest style UICollectionViews in Xamarin.iOS – via Pierce Boggan
- How to to use the Action Bar in Android – Willem Meints
- AutoLayout with Xamarin.Mac – Jérémie Laval. Discussion of how AutoLayout is used to implement the new iOS Property Pad for Xamarin Studio
- Mike Bluestein shares slides from his talk at MonkeySpace conference – Mike Bluestein
- How I built an Android app in C# & Visual Studio in less than 24hrs – Nishanth Anil
- Windows Phone app building tools you might not know about – Adam Denning
Stuff that I googled for my project, that was useful
- Make a phone number initiate a phone call in iOS – Xamarin Forums.
Update: Dan Miser sent a comment to have a look at the post http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/22462/#Comment_22462 because it provides the Call/Cancel dialog functionality to you for free. Thanks Dan!
- Can EntryElement be readonly on Monotouch.Dialog – StackOverflow
- Monotouch Dialog section enable or disable – Xamarin Forums
- Xamarin.iOS and Authentication in Windows Azure Mobile – Thirteen Days
- UITextField Max Length in C# with Xamarin.iOS – StackOverflow
Back soon with more links and experiences of my Xamarin learning, enjoy reading my other articles in this blog. Have any question? Don’t forget to write a comment below.
I recently bought a new phone and passed on my old Nokia Lumia 920 to my wife. She has a strong opinion on the use of cases for phones, especially when we have little kids playing with them. In order to placate her I purchased a wallet style leather case and put the phone in it. She was really happy as the case came with some inserts that she could store credit cards in and use it as a pseudo wallet when she couldn’t be bothered carrying around her hand bag.
Then my wife started complaining about the phone making these strange bubbling noises. I laughed it off and took the phone in order to listen for myself. I flipped open the case and sure enough the phone started bubbling! It was actually quite a pleasant sound but the curious side of me couldn’t just let it go. I searched high and low in the phone settings but couldn’t find anything that would be causing it.
I turned instead to Google and found this thread with some posters describing a noise as “it sounds like Tiny Bubbles…”. That’s it! That’s the noise!!! Further on in the thread people linked the noise to NFC and I realised that my wife had put a credit card with Pay Pass in the wallet case. Whenever she opened the wallet she flipped the cover around to the back of the phone to use it. This of course put the Pay Pass chip at the back of the phone and activated Tap and Send.
Since my wife cares about NFC about as much as I care about putting the seat down on the toilet, I have disabled Tap and Send for now. Happy wife, happy life…
We finished up our first week of “real” coding using Xamarin. By real I mean, actually working on (what we hope will be) production code. So I thought I’d post up some thoughts and experiences from the week. Continue reading…
Alrighty, here’s the situation. You deploy some code to a production or test environment and when you run it up for the first time it crashes. You spin up DebugView and you see this bad boy in the log:
 System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
This is one of the most annoying exceptions to see on production box, especially when you don’t have access to a debugger. With a debugger you can inspect the LoaderExceptions collection and see exactly what assembly it is after but without one your options are somewhat limited. Continue reading…
- The first list of Xamarin MVPs were announced.
- Xamarin recieved a bunch of cash in a second round of funding. Looks like the beers are on Xamarin!
- Xamarin releases two new themes that are free (as in beer).
- MA2: The Quick Bar – FastChicken blog discusses the implementation of the Quick Bar in Mobile Agent 2. Also check out the rest of the series, including. MA2: Consistency, Icons and Fonts – Tips and techniques used to bring consistency to icons, colours (and an extension method for converting HEX string colours to UIColor)
- Joe Sauve ported an alert view to Xamarin and wants to share it with you. SIAlertView.Xamarin is a C#/Mono Xamarin.iOS port of Sumi Interactive’s SIAlertView for native iOS.
- Copy File in Bundle to Documents Folder – Wei-Meng Lee provides some useful code on how to copy files from a bundle into the documents folder.
- A common SQLite pitfall – Rolf Bjarne Kvinge provides a post that discusses a common oversight using SQLite.
- MonoTouch Slide-out Navigation – Dillon Buchanan provides source code for a really sweet slide out navigaiton ui library.
- Dismissing Keyboard when user touches an empty space in a view (MonoTouch.Dialog). I found two good resources to solve this issue – here and here
- Getting Started With Xamarin And Windows Azure Mobile Services. Craig Dunn has a video over at Channel 9 showing how to build connected iOS apps in C#
- Mapping and Location with Mono for Android – Wally McClure’s article on the new google location api and how to use it
- Introduction to building Xamarin.iOS applications in Visual Studio (Ryan Paul)